Bloggers Kay and Masse post a sad story on their Koh Lanta blog. A 10 year old Swedish girl has died from a jellyfish sting, or, as appears likely, a sting from a Cubozoa, also known as a box jellyfish.
The youngster suffered a quick, hypersensitive reaction, quickly fell into anaphylactic shock almost immediately and doctors on the resort island could not save her.
Koh Lanta is off Krabi in the far South of Thailand, and Swedes love the place. But I would be amazed if there were any warnings about jellyfish on the beaches, like the picture, which is from Hawaii. I’m sure tourist awareness is almost nil. I can’t find a single warning about jellyfish from tourist operators, government or private.
Bloggers are by far the best early warning devices around these days.